Powers of the State Commission
As per Section 20 of the Act, the State Commission shall, while inquiring into any matter referred to in clause (b) and (e) of sub-section (6) of section 16, have all the powers of a Civil Court while trying a suit under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908, and in particular, in respect of the following matters, namely :-
- Summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person and examining him on oath;
- Discovery and production of any document;
- Receiving evidence on affidavits;
- Requiring any public record or copy thereof from any court or office ; and
- Issuing commissions for the examination of witnesses or documents.
The State Commission shall have the power to forward any case to a Magistrate having jurisdiction to try the same and the Magistrate to whom any such case is forwarded shall proceed to hear the complaint against the accused as if the case has been forwarded to him under section 346 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.